Genres Accepted: Poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, one-act plays, photography, visual artwork, videos, memes, & gifs.
* Examples of creative non-fiction may include, but are not limited to, the following: personal essays, memoirs, travel writing, food writing, biography, and literary journalism.
- Works previously or simultaneously published in other publications should not be submitted.
- We accept co-produced works. Please name all contributors.
- All entries must be submitted by email as an attachment in MS Word (.docx are acceptable) JPEG format (.jpg) or GIF format (.gif) to email@example.com. Videos must be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo, etc. Please send the link of the video to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send us your original work or include contact information within the submissions themselves. Such information should be provided on the Cover Sheet.
- All submissions must be accompanied by a completed Cover Sheet (PDF). Submissions lacking a Cover Sheet will not be considered for publication. The Cover Sheet should be returned with the electronic submission as a separate attachment. Download a copy of the Cover Sheet (PDF).
- You may enter as many categories as you wish. For multiple submissions in multiple categories, please separate each piece into its own, appropriately titled document, JPEG, or GIF file that corresponds with the information provided on the Cover Sheet. Note that contributors will be limited to a maximum of five works total (This could be 5 poems or it could be 1 poems, 1 creative nonfiction, 1 performance based piece and 2 photos. Whatever combination you like as long as it’s 5 pieces total.
- We will be having joint competitions with English Club and Art Club. The limit for each competition is two pieces. You may submit two pieces for the literary competition, two pieces for the art competition and another piece of your choosing for general Stylus submission.
Genre Submission Guidelines
- Poetry: Please submit poems of 50 lines or less.
- Fiction (Short Story): 3,000 word limit.
- Creative Non-fiction: 3,000 word limit.
- One-act play: 3,000 word limit.
- Photography: Digital photographs may be in color or B&W. Please send photo files 3-10 MB in size to ensure high resolution. All photographs of visual art must be submitted as JPEG (.jpg) format.
- Visual Art: Digital photographs of paintings, ink drawings, charcoal drawings, colored pencil drawings, sculptures, etc. are accepted. Photographs may be in color or B&W. Please send photo files 3-10 MB in size to ensure high resolution. All photographs of visual artwork must be submitted as JPEG (.jpg) format.
- GIFS, Memes: Must be at least 3 MB to ensure high quality. You may submit as many as want.
- Videos: Videos cannot exceed 5 minutes. Videos include tapings of performance based pieces, audio of a piano piece, a digital short or a film. Please upload a video to a video-uploading site such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc. and then send the link to email@example.com.
If you have ANY questions, concerns, or conflicts with the Submission Guidelines, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. These guidelines exist not to curtail your artistic license, but to facilitate the publication process for the Stylus Staff.
For more information about Stylus or feedback, contact us at email@example.com.